Emeritus professor of Scandinavian languages
at Nordica in the
Department of Finnish, Finno-Ugrian and Scandinavian Studies
University of Helsinki
P.O.Box 24 (Unioninkatu 40 / Fabianinkatu 39)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Present academic positions
- Senior professor (part-time) at Dalarna University, Sweden; July 2018 – December 2019.
- Part-time lecturer (November 2018-January 2019), Department of Scandinavian Languages, Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Emeritus professor of Scandinavian languages at the University of Helsinki, Finland. Retired 2016 from tenured, Swedish-language position; appointed July 23, 2002. Areas of special responsibility: dialectology, sociolinguistics, and language history.
- Docent (a.k.a. Adjunct professor) of General linguistics at the Åbo Akademi University, Finland. Appointed 1989.
Education and degrees
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A., 1986. [Field: Linguistics. Dissertation: Pragmatics as implicitness. An analysis of question particles in Solf Swedish, with implications for the study of passive clauses and the language of persuasion.] Co-chairs: Charles J. Fillmore & Robin Tolmach Lakoff + Paul Kay, Johanna Nichols (&Leanne Hinton, Wallace Chafe)
- [M.Phil.] Filosofie licentiat (fil. lic.), Åbo Akademi University, Finland, 1981. [Main subject: English language and literature; subsidiary: General linguistics (at the University of Helsinki). Thesis: Functional Text Semantics. On a shift of emphasis in linguistics.] Chair: Nils Erik Enkvist
- Candidate of Philosophy (Cand. Phil.) [Advancement to candidacy], University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A., 1981. [field: Linguistics.]
- [M.A.] Filosofie kandidat/magister (fil. kand./fil. mag.), Åbo Akademi University, Finland, 1977. [Main subject: English language and literature; subsidiaries: literary science, Swedish (language), philosophy, education. M.A. thesis (thesis pro gradu): A Word‑Text‑Context approach to semantics. An essay on determinism in linguistics.] Chair: Nils Erik Enkvist + Håkan Ringbom
- Master of Arts, Reading University, Great Britain, 1976. [field: Linguistic Science] Special field: Grammatical theory (Peter Matthews, Irene Philippaki-Warburton) + Frank Palmer, Malcolm Petyt, David Chrystal, Peter Trudgill
- [B.A.] Kandidat i humanistiska vetenskaper (kand. hum.), Åbo Akademi University, Finland, 1974.
- High-school diploma [Studentexamen], Vasa svenska lyceum, Vaasa, Finland, 1970.
- Mother tongue: Swedish (the Solv dialect and standard Finland Swedish)
- Advanced: Finnish, English
- Other working languages of which I have some knowledge: Norwegian, Danish, German, Latin, French, FinSL
- Languages of special interest: Såłv (the Solv dialect) and other North-Germanic dialects, Hualapai (Walapai), Nahuatl, FinSSL, all languages in the north of Europe (Norden) and in Finland and its neighbors
Prominent research areas and areas of interest
Pragmatics, discourse and media; construction grammar and construction discourse; minorities, dialects, language contact, identity and variability; language policy, sociology of language, ideology, responsibility, and applied linguistics
See separate folder.
Research-related administrative positions (for Research projects generally, see separate folder; for other administrative duties, see separate folder)
- 2013-2016 Director of the Doctoral program for language studies (Helslang) at the University of Helsinki
- 2012-2017 President of the International Pragmatics Association (IPrA)
- 2014-2017 PI of the Finnish part of the Nordic Council of Ministers' working group on Parallel language use
- 2011-2016 PL of the LMS (Language, meaning, and society) RC (Researcher community) at the University of Helsinki
- 2011 Chair of the Joint Committee for Nordic Research Councils for the Humanities and the Social Sciences (NOS-HS)
- 2010-2012 Reappointed member of the Research Council for Culture and Society at the Academy of Finland
- 2010-2011 Chair of the Board for periodicals in the Joint Nordic NOS-HS
- 2009- PI of the Finland-Swedish part of the pan-European SLICE Project (Standard-language ideologies in contemporary Europe)
- 2007-2009 Appointed member of the Research Council for Culture and Society at the Academy of Finland
- 2006-2010 PI of the Helsinki part of the pan-Nordic Centre of Excellence in Microcomparative Syntax, NORMS
- 2005-2010 PI of the Finnish part of the pan-Nordic project on Scandinavian Dialect Syntax, ScanDiaSyn
- 2002-2005 PI of the Finnish part of the pan-Nordic project on Modern imports in the languages in Norden (The MIN Project)
- 1994-1996 PL of the Academy of Finland Project on Pragmatics, ideology, and contacts (The PIC Project) at the University of Helsinki. The project is still up and running
Appointments and job history
- 2002-2016 Professor of Scandinavian languages at the University of Helsinki, Finland. Tenured, Swedish-language position; appointed July 23, 2002. Areas of special responsibility: dialectology, sociolinguistics, and language history. Retired July 31, 2016.
- 2014 Spring semester: part-time lecturer in Scandinavian Studies, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany
- 2008, 2009, 2012 External Senior Fellow at the Freiburg Research Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS), Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany
- 2006-2010 Professor II (part-time professorship) of Scandinavian languages, University of Tromsø, Norway
- 2001 Visiting scholar at the University of California, Linguistics and the International Computer Science Institute, Berkeley, U.S.A.
- 2000 Fellow at the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts, Brussels, Belgium
- 1998-2002 Professor of English philology, University of Helsinki
- 1996-1999 Acting professor of General linguistics, University of Helsinki
- 1991-1994, 1995-1996 Acting professor of English philology, University of Helsinki
- Since 1989 Docent (a.k.a Adjunct professor) at the Åbo Akademi University
- 1988 Visiting professor of Linguistics (Germaanse), University of Antwerp (UIA), Belgium
- 1988-1998 Associate professor of English linguistics, University of Helsinki
- 1977-1982, 1988-1989, 1994-1995, 2000-2001 Various research positions and projects at the Academy of Finland
- 1976-1988 Various positions as teacher, lecturer, assistant, acting associate professor etc. in General linguistics and in English language and literature at the Åbo Akademi University
Distinctions, honors and prizes
See separate folder.
Academic promotion and evaluation of theses and degrees
I have supervised some 25 doctoral dissertations, four M.Phil. theses, and over 260 M.A. theses. For a full list of supervised and completed (M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.) theses and dissertations, see separate folder.
Supervision in graduate schools, doctoral programs, and research seminars
In addition to having had official theses advisory tasks, I have been an active supervisor of doctoral dissertation in the departments where I have had professorial duties, and in the following national graduate schools in Finland,
- Semantics and the Processing of Meaning ['Merkitys ja sen kielellinen prosessointi'] 1995-1998
- Langnet (The Finnish Graduate School in Language Studies) 1999-2002
- Langnet (2) 2003-2006
- Langnet (3) 2007-2011
and in the Doctoral Program for Language Studies at the University of Helsinki 2013-
Membership in Editorial Boards for journals
For main (co-)editor of journals and book series, see separate folder.
- Constructions and Frames (John Benjamins Publishers)
- Advisory editor, 2009-
- Text and Talk (Walter de Gruyter)
- Specialist editor, 2014-
Member of editorial board, 2005-2014
Member of editorial board of Text, 2003-2005
- Arkiv för nordisk filologi
- Member of editorial board, 2010-
- Journal of Intercultural Communication
- Member of editorial board, 2007-
- APPLES - Journal of Applied Language Studies
- Member of editorial board, 1999-
- Maal og Minne
- Member of editorial board, 2006-2010
- Cognitive linguistics
- Member of editorial board, 2004-2006
- SKY Journal of Linguistics
- Member of editorial board, 1995-2000
- Pragmatics (IPrA)
- Member of editorial board, 1994-200x
- Journal of Pragmatics
- Co-editor, 1986-1992
Member of editorial board, 1992-2014